A guide to Diablo III patch 1.0.8 - with info on increased monster density, multiplayer boosts, skill buffs, Identify All, matchmaking game tags, multi-crafting items, and more.
- Patch 1.0.8 Guide: This guide covers the major additions and changes in patch 1.0.8, along with the official patch notes, and info from the development process.
- Patch History: Patch 1.0.8 went live on May 7, 2013. The latest patch change was the Fast Patch 1.0.8a that went live on May 14, 2013.
- Patch 1.0.8 Guide: Updated July 30, 2013 - The most recent guide updates include the Hotfixes added in July 2013.
- Skill Changes - Changes have been made to multiple skills, including Rapid Fire, Firebats, Disintegrate, and Arcane Torrent. Most of the skills that provide Life regeneration had that effect doubled; for example, the Demon Hunter passive skill Brooding now provides 2% Life regeneration per second, instead of 1%.
- Keywardens - The keywarden Nekarat now drops a random key, along with the recipe it has always dropped for the Infernal Machine. All keywardens are now only found in Inferno mode, not the lower difficulty modes.
- Monster Density Increased - One of the major changes in patch 1.0.8 is the increase in monster density, for characters in Inferno on Monster Power 1 or higher. Here is a look at just how many more monsters are around, in a video of a Monk on the PTR moving quickly through Act II areas.
- Identify All - Players can identify all items in their inventory at once, by speaking to Deckard Cain or by using the Book of Cain that is near the shared stash in all Acts. After a "cast time" of about 8 seconds, all items in the character's inventory are identified.
- Multi-Crafting - Players can now craft multiple pieces of equipment or gems, one after the other, with a multi-craft option. The items are still crafted one at a time, but a player doesn't have to keep clicking to craft each one.
- Multiplayer Bonuses - Players receive a 10% bonus to Magic Find, Gold Find, and Experience for each additional player in a multiplayer co-op game, up to a maximum of 30% in a four-player game. The Magic Find and Gold Find bonuses can go above the normal 300% soft cap, making this useful even for characters who are at Paragon Level 100.
- Experience Boosts - A change has been made to how some experience bonuses are applied, which increases the overall available +experience percentage applied to a character. Both the multiplayer experience bonus, and the +15% experience bonus from each Nephalem Valor stack, are multiplicative instead of additive. The new simple calculation is: [ 100%(base) + bonus from MP + helm ruby + ring] * [1 + Up to 0.75 from NV + Up to 0.30 for multiplayer] -- in short, it means more experience as characters level, especially in co-op groups.
- Teleport - The Wizard Teleport skill was overhauled, per the patch notes: "Players may now Teleport to any location within range, as long as a path is available." See examples in a reddit thread, with multiple pictures showing how the skill works in patch 1.0.8.
This updated Teleport lets Wizards move very quickly through an area, especially once doors are open inside of dungeons, teleporting "through" walls. Teleport also works up or down inside dungeons, much like Barbarian's Leap.
- Matchmaking Tags: In 1.0.8 players can select a Matchmaking Tag when making or looking to join a Public Game. Selecting one will tell the matchmaking server to place you in a group with other players who have selected the same tag as you. The tags starting out on the PTR are: Questing, Full Act Clear, Keywarden, and PvP. The developers are looking for feedback from the PTR process, to see what other tags will work best, to help players get grouped up as they want to.
- Multiplayer Bonuses: Starting in 1.0.8, there are extra bonuses across the board for playing in a group. "At the moment we're looking at 10% more XP per extra player in the game for a maximum bonus of 30% more XP in a 4-player game. This bonus will be multiplicative with MP bonuses. For example: suppose you are playing on MP10 with an XP bonus in Inferno of 510%. This means a monster is worth 610% of its normal XP (510% more). If you are playing in a 4-player game the monster will be worth 793% as much XP as normal. On top of this, you will also earn a flat 10% Gold Find and 10% Magic Find for each additional player in the game, and this bonus can exceed the 300% Gold Find and Magic Find caps."
- Multiplayer Monster Health: Monster Health in multiplayer games will not be raised in 1.0.8, as much as it is right now. Monsters currently gain 70% extra health per additional player in the game, and that is being reduced down to 50%.
- Archon Kills: In 1.0.8, a Wizard running Archon will see it's duration extended by assists from other players. As long as the Wizard is around when a monster dies, the Archon duration will be extended.
- Combat Alerts: Starting in 1.0.8, when a player deals damage to or takes damage from an Elite pack or Treasure Goblin for the first time, a notification will be sent out to the entire party to let the teammates know. This will be accompanied by a "combat" icon on the mini-map so other players in the group can locate those enemies, along with a combat icon on that player's banner in town.
- Players Near You: A bonus for the small number of Diablo III players who play on a wifi with other Diablo III players: "Similar to the feature in StarCraft II, the "Players Near You" window will display all players who are logged into Diablo III from your local network. This feature is great if you're playing while at a university dorm or frequent Internet cafes, and will help you easily connect with other local players."
- Private Chat: "We're adding private conversations in 1.0.8, which will allow you to chat with up to 99 of your closest friends. Think of private conversations in Diablo III as being similar to multi-user conversations in your favorite IM client. You're not making a permanent "channel," you're simply inviting multiple people to chat for the duration of that session."
- An 'Identify All' Option: An option to identify all unidentified items in inventory, at once. There will be a cast bar, and at the end of the cast bar all items will be identified.
- Multi-Craft Items and Gems: "We want to make it easier to craft lots of items, so we plan on giving players the ability to specify how many of an item they want to craft and then to make that many. Want to make 20 Archon Shoulders of Dexterity? Cool, push the button and watch it go." This will also apply to gems, and will even use materials from the shared stash.
- AH Tooltip Comparisons: "Ever wish you could compare the item you are thinking about buying with the item you are wearing? You want it, we want it, and we hope to have it in game soon."
- Increasing monster density in Acts I, II, and IV. See the thread for multiple posts on the topic, the summary is: Work is being done to make the mob density consistent across all acts, including Whimsyshire.
- Improving Co-op Play and Efficiency: "We are looking to improve co-op farming efficiency in 1.0.8. Co-op play in general is a big focus of the 1.0.8 patch and efficiency is definitely one component of that."
- Broadcast to Friend's List: "The ability to set a broadcast similar to SC2 and WoW is currently one of the features planned for 1.0.8, along with other features to improve multiplayer."
- Quest XP at 60: "One of the additional improvements we're hoping to make is to make it so that XP from quests would be granted to players that are at level cap. Every little bit helps, after all."
- Bashanishu achievement: Fixing another little bug with the Bashanishu achievement.
- Monster Power checkmark: The checkmark can disappear, which is scheduled to be fixed in 1.0.8.
- Invisible Fire Wall: The fire wall in Act III that can disappear at times will require a patch to fix.
- Vote Kick Fix: A fix for vote kicking, which may happen in patch 1.0.8 or in a hotfix: "Currently the vote kick system will remove a player from the group, but it does not prevent them that player from rejoining the same group. We realize this can be frustrating, and we're working on an upcoming fix that should ensure that players who have been kicked from a group will no longer be matched with that same group.".
- Known Issues: Presumably, other bugs in the current Known Issues List for 1.0.7a will be fixed in patch 1.0.8. Also see the 1.0.8 Known Issues List that was posted in the PTR forums, and then quickly removed, since they weren't ready 1.0.8 to be up on the PTR yet.
- Nerf to Scorpion XP: Some players had taken to just killing scorpions and nothing else, for high xp. Their xp will be reduced in patch 1.0.8:
On the PTR: Patch 1.0.8 arrived on the Public Test Realm on April 8, 2013. It received multiple PTR patches while it was there.
Patch 1.0.8 Release: Patch 1.0.8 went live on May 7, 2013.
Gold Duping Exploit: A bug in the initial release of patch 1.0.8 let gold be duplicated via the Real-Money Auction House. The Auction Houses were quickly taken down, and there was an investigation lasting over 3 days to deal with it. The final official explanation after the investigation was concluded, stated that 415 players were involved in duping gold via this method, and Blizzard's technicians used the account audit to recover gold from those exploits.
Patch 1.0.8a: The Fast Patch 1.0.8a went live on May 14, 2013.
Hotfixes: Small changes were made via Hotfixes in June and July 2013.
Server optimizations are being tested on the Public Test Realm
Official patch notes and server changes for Season 7
An overview of the patch that is arriving this week, and bringing Season 7
A look at the rewards in Season 7, and the journey to achieve them