Charts of how well the Diablo III classes survive in hardcore mode
Dead versus Live Hardcore
- This chart compares the number of hardcore characters for each class. The red bars show data from the live hardcore characters, while the black bars reflect the dead hardcore characters.
- The chart shows which classes have more dead characters, by comparing the live versus dead percentage for a specific class.
- When comparing the hardcore characters of each class who died to the ones that are still alive, the Monk and Witch Doctor classes fare the best. There are notably more Witch Doctors and Monks who are alive than who have died, in hardcore mode. This includes deaths while leveling and at level 70.
- Of all the Diablo III classes, Demon Hunters and Wizards have died the most in hardcore mode. There are substantially more dead characters than live ones, for both of those classes.
Surviving to Level 70
- This table shows the average chance of surviving to level 70 for heroes of each class.
- This is calculated by comparing the number of hardcore characters in a class who made it to level 70, to the amount who died at levels 1-69. The number listed is the percentage of hardcore characters in the class who survived all the way to level 70. This does not include all the hardcore characters who died after they reached level 70.
- Crusaders and Witch Doctors are the least likely to die while leveling. Witch Doctors can escape many risky situations, with a combination of pets to absorb dangerous attacks, and powerful survival skills like Spirit Walk and Spirit Vessel.
- The tough Crusader class also has high survival rates up to level 70. Their survivability numbers have been climbing over time, due to patch changes. Crusader durability was most recently boosted in Patch 2.0.5, with improved skills and a 30% damage reduction.
Survival Rate to Level 70
Hardcore Deaths by Level
- The Deaths by Character Level charts answer the question: at what character level do hardcore characters die?
- The chart to the left lists the character levels that hardcore characters had achieved when they died. There is a jump in the hardcore deaths at character levels 60-69; this includes characters who do not have the Reaper of Souls expansion and cannot progress beyond level 60, and the characters leveling up from 61-69. Most hardcore characters make it up to level 70, where the vast majority of deaths happen.
- The percentage of hardcore characters who die while leveling is much lower than it used to be. The Hardcore Deaths as of Patch 1.0.8 had a significantly higher percentage of characters who died during the leveling process. The death rate dropped after Patch 2.0; that patch provided the Loot 2.0 overhaul, a controllable Dynamic Difficulty system, and other changes that have made it easy for a character to stay alive while leveling up to 70.
- The charts below show the same data, broken down by each class.
Class Hardcore Deaths by Level
See the Popular Builds and Skills for the top builds and skills used to stay alive in hardcore mode!