A guide to upcoming Diablo III patches, including the massive Loot 2.0 patch.
- Future Diablo III Patches: This guide contains information on upcoming patches for Diablo III. As with any patch development, the specifics can always change; nothing here is set in stone.
- Last Updated: December 31, 2013 this guide was overhauled, to include info on the Loot 2.0 patch.
Current PC Patch: Patch 1.0.8aThe current major patch for the PC / Mac Diablo III is Patch 1.0.8, which went live on May 7, 2013. The latest small patch was the Fast Patch 1.0.8a which went live on May 14, 2013, followed by a few Hotfixes. See the Patch 1.0.8 Guide for details on everything in that patch, and the Diablo III Patches for an overview of all the Diablo III PC patches so far.
Future PC Patch: Patch 2.0.1
- The Loot 2.0 Patch: The next Diablo III patch for PC and Mac is Patch 2.0.1, which is also known as the Loot 2.0 Patch. This is a massive patch, that will go live shortly before the release of the Reaper of Souls Expansion.
- Loot 2.0 Overhaul: As expected from the Loot 2.0 moniker, patch 2.0.1 brings a total revamp of items in Diablo III. Here's an overview of the changes:
- Account Bound Legendaries - In patch 2.0.1 all new Legendary and Set items that drop are Bound to Account (BOA). These Legendary items can be traded within 2 hours of the time that they dropped, to any other characters who were in the game when the item dropped. Note that this will not change any of the old "Legacy" items, those Legendary and Set items that have been in the game before patch 2.0.1 arrives. This change to making items account-bound goes along with the complete removal of the Auction House on March 18, just before the expansion arrives. The goal is to make the best way of obtaining power on Diablo III characters by going out and slaughtering monsters in the game, instead of getting those powerful items from other players.
A level 60 version of the new Legendary weapon Valthek's Rebuke. This Legendary item has the unique power:
Energy Twister now travels in a straight path.
This is one of the many new and revamped Legendary items in patch 2.0.1 that modify a skill in some way.
- Paragon 2.0 - Patch 2.0.1 brings a new Paragon System. Paragon 2.0 provides Paragon Points for each character, allowing customized control over the bonuses they receive. The Paragon Points are based on the new Shared Paragon Levels, where all characters of a specific type (hardcore or softcore) on a Diablo III account share their Paragon experience. All the old Paragon levels on characters will automatically be converted to the new Shared Paragon Levels, when the patch arrives.
- Difficulty System - Another system being overhauled in patch 2.0.1 is the monster difficulty and level scaling. Both the old Monster Power system, and the Normal / Nightmare / Hell / Inferno modes, are all going away. Instead there will be simpler system that provides straightforward choices for the difficulty of monsters, and the rewards from killing them. Monsters will automatically level up so that they are always around the same level as the Diablo III character.
- Skill Updates - All the skills have been reviewed, with changes throughout many of them. Many runes have been tweaked, and some replaced entirely, to provide a better play experience. The developers are looking to expand the choices of the Popular Builds, to allow for more variety, especially when combined with the new skill-changing Legendary items.
- Quality of Life - There are a slew of quality of life improvements in the patch, including useful tweaks to the user interface, and better pre-loading of game assets to prevent the stutter that could show up when a Diablo III game was first started.
See the Loot 2.0 Patch news for all the latest on the upcoming patch for the PC Diablo III.
Current Console Patch: Console Patch 1.0.2The current patch for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 editions of Diablo III is Console Patch 1.0.2. It went live on the PlayStation 3 on October 1 2013, while the Xbox 360 version went live two weeks later. The patch brought many fixes for bugs and crashes in the client. See the Diablo III Patches for an overview of the Diablo III Console patches and hotfixes.
Future Console PatchThere has been little discussion of future patches for the console editions of Diablo III. At some point down the road, the Reaper of Souls expansion is definitely coming to consoles, but it has not been officially announced yet. There are also developer discussions of other features that would be useful to add to the console versions of Diablo III, such as a Quick Chat mode.