Diablo III Developers Working on the 'Trade Ecosystem'

Discussion of the Auction House removal, from the current and previous Diablo III Game Directors

The announcement that the Diablo III Auction Houses will be removed next March has generated a tumultuous discussion. There have been many posts about the topic, and new comments from both the current and previous Game Directors for Diablo III. A new Community Manager for the Diablo III team is announced in this roundup of Blizzard Blues, along with discussion of caps for the Paragon Points in the revamped Paragon 2.0 system.

Diablo III Game Director Josh Mosqueira took to Twitter with some quick notes about the Auction House removal. He mentioned that the Diablo III developer team is discussing all the ramifications of removing the Auction House, including issues like traders spamming chat, and the gray markets that were so common in Diablo II.

Jay Wilson's Response to AH Removal
The former game director for Diablo III, Jay Wilson, also weighed in on Twitter. He gave his support to removing the Auction Houses. This is no surprise, since he has previously stated in a design discussion that including the Auction House in Diablo III "really hurt the game". In a few tweets, Wilson said that the decision was made by Josh Mosqueira and the current Diablo III team, and he was glad that the decision was made.
I'm glad we're making this decision. It's good for the game.

@joshmosq deserves the credit for pushing this through. I do, however, fully support the decision.

Getting rid of the AH is because @joshmosq and the current team pushed for it. I didn't do it, I just agree with it.

Hardcore Auction Houses Removed
Although they weren't specifically mentioned in the initial announcement, Vaeflare verified that the Gold Auction House on the hardcore side will also be going away in March 2014.
Hey guys I'm sorry if this has been asked or answered elsewhere..

Is the auction house being removed from hardcore side as well? I did read the notice and all the other forums posts but couldn't find any clarification to this. Thanks in advance. :P
The gold and real-money auction houses will be shut down on Tuesday, March 18, 2014, and yes, that includes the Hardcore auction house.

Loot 2.0 Patch PTR Schedule
The changes coming in the Loot 2.0 patch will greatly change up the game. There will be a (undoubtedly lengthy) testing process, where that patch goes on the Public Test Realm for many weeks. The Loot 2.0 PTR may start this year, but likely not before BlizzCon. There will eventually be a beta of the Reaper of Souls expansion, as well; for players who enjoy testing new content, there is a lot to look anticipate, by early next year.
No ETA yet! While we certainly want to give players the opportunity to test out expansion changes before they go live and provide feedback, we don't have any details to share right now regarding a PTR or Reaper of Souls beta.
Posted by: dannyboi

how about PTR on loot 2.0 endgame modes?

Yes, we want players to be able to provide feedback on those gameplay features those too. :)

But again, no dates or details yet (though Josh said we would love to do something this year, if possible). We still have a lot of internal testing and development to do before opening everything up to a wider audience.

Edit: STUFF
Posted by: unholy

it would make forum life easier if you just said that ptr would not begin until next year

We'd like to make public testing available this year, if at all possible (this will ultimately depend on how internal testing goes and whether or not we're able to get everything into a playable state). That said, I wouldn't anticipate anything before BlizzCon. If that timeline changes and we're able to deliver something sooner, darn tootin' we'll let the community know.

Yeah. I just said darn tootin'. /dealwithitglasses

Posted by: DarkJack

how about november 10th? ;)

I'll pass on your suggestion. :P
Posted by: Spaceghost

Could you find out what will happen to our real money balance... Will I be able to cash it out, buy a D3 Pony t-shirt, buy Collectors edition ROS, or get me one of those sweet DWI Glasses?

We're still working out all the technical details for the shut down, so we don't have all the answers right now. But we will, and we'll be sharing them with all of you once they're available -- likely within the same FAQ thread we posted today as well as more front-page blog posts. We know these details are important, and our goal is to ensure that this transition goes as smoothly as possible. That requires keeping the community informed of what will happen to things like posted auctions, items or currency in the Completed Tab, and (of course) Battle.net Balance. This is partly why we wanted to give players such advanced notice, as it'll allow enough time for all the appropriate preparations to be made (both on your end and on ours).

TL;DR: We don't know yet. But once we do, you'll know too.

Now, back on topic!

Paragon 2.0 Experience Conversion
When the Paragon 2.0 system lands, all the Paragon experience already accrued on characters will be converted into the new Shared Paragon levels. Characters who have already reached Paragon Level 100 can't gain more experience. Players with a Paragon Level 100 character who want as many Shared Paragon levels as possible in the system revamp should play other characters, for now.
I've seen a lot of speculation/infos on paragon 2.0 patch and there's one thing I'd really like to know if someone got an answer to it. According to a post from a bliz member I saw in another thread (can't find where since it was quite some time ago), paragon player 100 will be rewarded according to the time they spent playing. Does that mean that if I am paragon 100 and I keep farming with this account, I can still accumulate the overall experience points for my account?

Well the actual question I really want answered is : Do I have to create multiple duplicate characters and level them to gain benefits on the overall paragon level patch coming, or can I keep playing my main character that is already paragon 100 and still get the benefits of the experience I will gain?

Any answer would suit me, but I really like playing my barbarian and I'd like to know if I need to create another one like everyone or should I keep using my main.

Thanks to anyone that has an answer!
Else, have fun and keep playing!

Palax
We're still working out some of the finer details regarding Paragon 2.0, but our intention is to remove the cap on Paragon levels, so after Paragon 2.0 is implemented, you can continue playing and leveling up your Barbarian if that's what suits you.

In the meantime, the highest amount of "stored" Paragon experience you can have for one character is the current cap, which is Paragon level 100.

(Edited the last sentence for clarity.)
Posted by: Ziden

So the following quote means that having two level 100 paragons was a waste =/

Not at all. With the way the system works right now, we'll first start by adding up Paragon experience across all your heroes of specific type. That cumulative experience will then be applied to the new Paragon leveling curve to determine what your Shared Paragon level will be. Depending on how many characters you have and what Paragon levels they are at the time Paragon 2.0 goes live, it's definitely possible that your Shared Paragon level will be above 100 (remember that we're removing the cap on Paragon at the same time). So, a player with 2 or 3 p100 characters will certainly be farther along than, say, a player with only 1 or 0.

(Note that Shared Paragon levels are broken down by game type, though. By this I mean that all of your Normal characters will share a unified Paragon level and all of your Hardcore characters will share a unified Paragon level.)

* In case someone asks, the experience curve for Paragon 2.0 is still under development, so I can't give you an exact conversion just yet.

Posted by: Perma

The original post to which Vaeflare is responding clearly asks whether or not experience will continue to accumulate on a P100 character. It will not. However, there have been several blue posts which clearly state that the total amount of paragon experience on your account will be used to calculate your account-wide paragon level - which means that having 2x P100 characters will grant you a paragon level somewhere above P100 when the new system is introduced.

Correct. The questions was "if I am paragon 100 and I keep farming with this account, [can I] still accumulate the overall experience points for my account?" The answer is no. At present, once characters reach Paragon 100, they will no longer continue to accrue Paragon experience.

Sorry for the confusion! As a side note, Travis Day went into Paragon 2.0 details and philosophy a little more here, if you’re curious: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882180012#9
Posted by: Shackler

Without being shot down by " Ugnnn pc is better, you suck', Are these changes likely to happen on the console versions?

Still TBD. Similar to the answer we give whenever asked "Will you bring 'X' from the console to PC?" the same applies when considering whether or not we will bring PC features to console. If it makes sense for that particular platform, will benefit the gameplay, and can actually be translated over in a seamless way, then yes. If not, then no. (Generally speaking.)

But to answer your question directly: We'd love to eventually bring Reaper of Souls and related changes to console. I don't have any details to share beyond that (I mean, we just shipped Diablo III on the PS3 and Xbox 360 this month), but it's definitely a goal. :)

Paragon Points Allocation
While the Paragon 2.0 system is still being developed, we're getting a little more info about the design as it currently stands. Vaeflare notes that most categories will be capped in Paragon Point allocation, but a character can always put points into the Core Stats category.
Posted by: SirK

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. Have only heard speculation so far. Any chance of getting info on what will happen when we reach a new paragon level but have maxed out categories to allocate points? Thanks!
The Paragon 2.0 system is still under development, but there are currently four different categories for players to allocate their Paragon points into: Core Stats, Offensive, Defensive, and Adventure.

Three out of the four categories (Offensive, Defensive, and Adventure) can be maxed out if you put a total of 200 points into each of those categories. Any excess Paragon levels earned after these categories have been maxed out will still grant a Paragon point, but you will only be able to spend these excess points in the Core Stat category. The Core Stat category will allow you to choose between added Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Vitality.
Posted by: Ziden

No cap on attributes, nice. Any word as to if they can be reallocated?
They can indeed! Players will be able to re-spec their Paragon points at any time. :)

Diablo III Community Manager Nevalistis
The Diablo III community team has expanded, with the announcement that Nevalistis has joined their ranks. The announcement, and Nevalistis' first reply, is listed below; the full announcement thread brought out welcomes from community members all across Blizzard, with many of them posting in the Diablo III forums for the first time.
Hey everyone,

Please join me in welcoming Nevalistis to the North American Diablo III Community Team! Nevalistis has a strong passion for Blizzard games and is very enthusiastic about joining us on our many adventures throughout Sanctuary, endeavoring to be a conduit for information as well as a voice for the Blizzard community. In between the normal community manager functions of meeting with developers, writing feature articles, engaging on social media, and attending live events, she’ll be joining us here on the forums discussing Diablo III with all of you.

So, without further ado: Welcome, Nevalistis!
Hello everyone!

I can't begin to explain how excited I am to be here. Pretty sure I lost some sleep the week before my first day. It's been a long time dream to be here as part of the team, and sometimes I have to double check to make sure it's real.

I certainly plan on being as active as I can be here on the forums, but I'm also looking forward to cracking my knuckles and pumping out some fun articles for you to read. I look forward to chatting with and getting to know you all!

The latest Blizzard blue posts can always be seen in our Blue Post Tracker or RSS feeds.
Feedback for Diablo Somepage